Thursday, October 31, 2013

Dear Friend Who Celebrates Halloween

Dear Friend Who Celebrates Halloween,

You might be a relative, a friend from Church, a childhood friend, or a new friend. Either way, it's an honor to call you my friend.

Each of us has had to make decisions about Halloween. Will we decorate? Will we go trick or treating? Will we dress up? Will we give out treats? Will we acknowledge Halloween at all?

We have made different choices. You've chosen to celebrate Halloween your way, I've chosen to handle it my way. Different factors have prompted us in our decisions, but one thing guides us both: we want to do what's best for us.

You don't have to explain your reasons to me and I don't have to explain my reasons to you, but if you want to talk about it, I'm open to do that. I don't judge you for your decision. That's not my call. I ask that you offer me the same courtesy.

I just want you to know if you overhear me talking about Halloween, see me share links on Facebook about Halloween, or writing on my blog about Halloween, it's not directed at you or about you.

When I say we don't go big into halloween because that's what we believe God is calling our family to do, I'm not suggesting that people that celebrate halloween are living in sin or that we're more spiritual than others.

Celebrating halloween is the normal thing to do. Not celebrating halloween is not the normal thing to do. Things that aren't normal make people uncomfortable. No one likes to be uncomfortable. But sometimes you have to do what you think is right, even if it does make you or others feel uncomfortable.

I've read lots of different arguments for, and lots of different arguments against, Halloween, and I'm sure you have to. I agree, and disagree, with lots of different arguments on both sides. I've come to my decision and you've come to yours.

I'm thankful that we both have the freedom to do what we believe is right. My favourite article about the whole issue this year is this one - http://www.educatinglaytons.com/2013/10/halloween-love-one-another . That's the key, and the challenge, - Love and respect one another, even if we've chosen differently.

Love,

Jacqueline

And for the record, though we did not decorate and will not be going trick or treating ourselves, this beautiful ballerina will be giving out treats at our door tonight.

Inspired by this great post - http://www.growinghomeblog.com/2013/10/an-open-letter-to-my-non-homeschooling.html



1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing my Halloween "love one another" post!

I appreciate the efforts written here to seek Jesus and the cross more so than point out who is right and wrong!

Hope you have a great November!
Stef
educatinglaytons.com