Thursday, February 07, 2008

Meet My Bible

Nancy, over at The King's Kreation, has posted Assignment #13: Meet My Bible for Blogger Friend School. I've never done any of their assignments before but I thought I'd give this one a try.

Assignment Questions and my answers

1. How old is your Bible?
Which one? :) I have a number of different Bibles. My main Bible that I take to church and use most often for personal devotions I've had for almost 25 years. It is very dear to me. My maternal grandmother prided herself on giving me my Bibles as I was growing up. She'd give me a new one as each old one wore out or got lost. She gave me the money to buy this particular Bible for myself the year I graduated from Bible College. It is the last Bible she bought for me.

2. Why did you chose this Bible?
I liked the nice, soft, black leather, and the fact that Jesus words were in red.

3. Do you highlight/mark passages in your Bible?
Yes, I do. My Bible is quite marked up.

4. If so, what is your system for marking passages?
I don't have a system. I mark verses that strike me and sometimes note in the margins verses that have similar wording or themes.

5. Do you have notebooks to record things?
Not at the present time, though I often do. Lately I've just been noting things on loose note paper.

6. If so, how many and what do you record?
I have many old notebooks around that I have used over the years for different purposes - to record notes from messages I heard preached, to record my own thoughts as I studied the Bible, to record scriptures I wanted to study further, etc.

7. Where is your favourite spot to read your Bible?
It varies. Right now I like to read at my kitchen table as I eat my breakfast. A short while ago I liked reading in a rocking chair by our fireplace. I also like to read in the car while someone else is driving.

8. Are there any special thoughts about your Bible you want to share?
My Bible is my most treasured possession. A while back I did a scrapbooking layout featuring my Bible. The title is "Nothing is as valuable as a well worn Bible". The little diamonds at the bottom say "Read it", "Learn it", Live it". Here it is:

9 comments:

Sombra said...

Hi Jacqueline, I'm Sombra, a fellow Canadian - Was raised a Montrealler, but I'm raising my kids in rural Saskatchewan.

I haven't even been a Christian for 25 years.. and you still have a Bible since then! - Amazing. Good to meet you

Sombra at HSB.com/morelittlewilsons

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacqueline~

Thanks for doing the challenge...I'll try my best to make things challenging but some weeks we may have simpler things to do just because of time constraints. Your entry is wonderful...you did a great job and I love the scrapbook page you had done from earlier on.

Nancy

Trina said...

It's great to meet you! Have a blessed weekend.

Unknown said...

Good to read about your Bible, Jacqueline! I have an old Bible from my grandfather; it has no cover but it's special just the same. Dh has his mother's Bible -- complete with all her little notes and markings. Very dear to him!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed weekend.

ReviewsbyHeidi said...

It was fun reading about your Bible. Mine was also a gift from a grandparent, and treasured for that very reason.
Love the scrapbooking page!
Heidi @ Reviews by Heidi
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/ReviewsbyHeidi

Anonymous said...

A loved your post about your Bibles. It has been very interesting finding out about all the different versions there are and how people use their Bibles.

momofmhasr said...

Canadian here too! I love that your grandmother gave you bible, my grandparents were upset at first when I got saved, but now we are as close as ever.

Anonymous said...

Hello from a fellow Canadian (NS)! Welcome to BFS! Thank you for telling us about your Bible. What a great post!